Predictive Astrology: which one do you use?

How do you use them?
do you interpret the chart stand alone? can you tell when an event will happen looking at the SR chart?
I look at both the standalone SR chart and also at any contact with radix planets/angles. In my opinion, the effects of the SR will be felt approx. 2 months before the birthday. Events described in the SR tends to be very specific, for example Moon in the 6th could indicate a change of job.

I look at both the standalone SR chart and also at any contact with radix planets/angles. In my opinion, the effects of the SR will be felt approx. 2 months before the birthday. Events described in the SR tends to be very specific, for example Moon in the 6th could indicate a change of job.
I see, thank you siliviam, still, can you through the reading of the SR predict specific events and their timing?

@Lunasel, I honestly have no idea where to start. I looked at the zodiacal release stuff, but it’s gibberish to me. Lots of stuff culminated in L4 for me yesterday, for various lots, but practically nothing special happened that day! I think I’m going to ignore it, because it doesn’t make any sense to me - and I need to grok the past before I can try to make sense of the future.

I am not intuitively minded, and I absolutely require things to make sense before I use them. I’m obviously not going to be a Hellenistic astrologer. :)

As for the 5th house? I’d rather not go there: It’s already caused enough trouble and pain. Creativity and self-expression come with huge costs attached, massive responsibilities and subsequent restrictions that you cannot imagine - with relatively little joy at the end of it - and that describes Saturn in the 5H to a tee. I guess that’s why I’m not dating: Part of me is absolutely terrified of what might come next.
I understand what you mean. Although I am more an intuitive thinker, I try to find patterns and order in astrological sense (saturn virgo oppo sun in pisces nataly :D). Still, I am confused about interpreting and relating astrological aspects to what is happening in reality.
Maybe it is better not to know much on prediction through astrology. otherwise, we will be preprogrammed, like robots, and there will be no room for free will. What would our life look like by then :unsure: ?
I am sad to hear about your experience of saturn in 5th. My daughter has it as well on 29 Scorpio :censored:.
Saturn in Cancer is not the best placement for this planet, as you know. Also, the 5th house is the Leo house and there is a great challenge for Aqua sun people to make the most of it.

I keep an eye on transits and progression always with an idea of my LOY (profections). I keep close eye on LOY in SR. I read stand alone SR, but I prefer to look at it overlaying natal to see where some angles and aspects can be seen easily. When considering your SR, you can utilize which planets and aspects are stronger/tigger orb which indicate a lot of what can unfold. I’ll give you an example:

So I have natal Moon-Neptune conjunct, then I currently have Transit Neptune square N Moon. Then, I see in SR the Moon is square Neptune. This is like a triple whammy.

A double whammy aspect can be identified also when say T Mars trine Jupiter and simultaneously Jupiter is square Mars. The type of aspect doesn’t matter as much just that it’s reciprocal.

I use LR and LO charts for narrowing what SR indicates and when it will come to fruition. I read them overlaying natal. In those LR’s I look for same angles as natal, same house and natal, same house as SR. A bonus fun thing is planets in SR that anre retrograde, when do they return to exact degree of SR. The most important things in LR’s ans LO’s is when is there a FM and NM as these are important times. This is actually how I’ve predicted some major events. If you are able to first see in a SR when a planet is same house as natal, you then look for LR with that same placement by house. Then if I want to look to the day I will look at mundane or “diurnal/nocturnal” chart (all info same as natal except date should be current date. The diurnal.. should have same name place as birth and time of birth, you just forward the day each day. FM and NM can also be triggers.

Mars is as active transiting planet that can trigger, or even similar aspects to natal. For example

Fun I’ve had with LR’s is when you find same as SR and natal in a LR or LO is the “when” or something major. Like when I got married - husband and I had LE Moon in 7th which can be nothing, except he had it natally, his SR then our LR’s. I didn’t notice until after but quite literal. I’ve used this technique on others and it works.

I go to far cause I love watching things unfold down to daily things.

I see, thank you siliviam, still, can you through the reading of the SR predict specific events and their timing?
Yes, I get a flavor of specific events, but timing no, although certain astrologers swear by the SR progressed Moon for its noticeable speed.

Yes, I get a flavor of specific events, but timing no, although certain astrologers swear by the SR progressed Moon for its noticeable speed.
progressed moon of the SR? which means, we look at the SR alone and follow the progressions? or you mean the LRs in relation to the SR moon.

progressed moon of the SR? which means, we look at the SR alone and follow the progressions? or you mean the LRs in relation to the SR moon.
Yes, the progression of the SR Moon, in the SR context; Merriman use it for timing events ("The New Solar Return Book of Prediction").

I lately only work with tertiary progressions II and I found out that the Davison Chart can be used with tertiary progressions II.

I honestly have no idea where to start. I looked at the zodiacal release stuff, but it’s gibberish to me. Lots of stuff culminated in L4 for me yesterday, for various lots, but practically nothing special happened that day! I think I’m going to ignore it, because it doesn’t make any sense to me - and I need to grok the past before I can try to make sense of the future.

I totally get you. I think it's Patrick Watson who wrote a comprehensive article on ZR using the example of the presendential election of 2016, and Trump in particular. As far as I remember the gist of the article, ZR has not yet been fully researched. It is still unclear exactly what structure ZR is based on. However, I don't remember the details.

I had a consultation last year with a trained traditional astrologer, who also used ZR, and I myself tried ZR backwards with a couple of important events in my life. Let's put it this way, I'm not convinced by this method.

The techniques I find reliable are:

Primary directions
Directions through the bounds
Annual / monthly profections, combined with Solar Return (as a standalone chart und against the natal chart)
Transits
Solar Arcs

I sometimes take a look at secondary progressions. Primarily focusing on the Moon and hard aspects.

Last edited:
I totally get you. I think it's Patrick Watson who wrote a comprehensive article on ZR using the example of the presendential election of 2016, and Trump in particular. As far as I remember the gist of the article, ZR has not yet been fully researched. It is still unclear exactly what structure ZR is based on. However, I don't remember the details.

I had a consultation last year with a trained traditional astrologer, who also used ZR, and tried ZR backwards with a couple of important events in my life. Let's put it this way, I'm not convinced by this method.
Yeah, it seemed more like noise than signal to me.

Primary directions
Annual / monthly profections, combined with Solar Return (as a standalone chart und against the natal chart)
Transits
Solar Arcs

I sometimes take a look at secondary progressions. Primarily focusing on the Moon and hard aspects.
Thanks for the heads-up. I have some research to do, clearly. :)

I had a consultation last year with a trained traditional astrologer, who also used ZR, and I myself tried ZR backwards with a couple of important events in my life. Let's put it this way, I'm not convinced by this method.

Primary directions
Transits
Solar Arcs

I wonder what you do mean by:

Primary directions

and by:

monthly profections

and how do you calculate them?
thanks

Astro seek has many tools on the website, but i do not know which one is the most accurate one.

What do you mean by accurate?

Primary directions

Those are time lord techniques that cover a broader span of time. I'll come back later for more specifics.

monthly profections

If you know how to do annual profections, it's easy to do monthly profections. :) Let's say you are Leo Rising and currently in your 10th house annual profection (Taurus) and your birthday is on March 10th. Monthly profections means that you move your ascendant one sign per month, starting from the sign of your annual profection. So your 1st month is Taurus, the 2nd Gemini and so on. Take your birthday as the marker to count the months. In our example March 10th - April 10th is the first month, April 10th - May 10th is the second, and so forth. It can be used with quadrant house system, but I recommend whole sign houses. It makes it easier to count and put the technique into practice.

Traditionally you will get a second time lord. Venus in our example will not only be the LoY but also the Lord of the month.
The same rules apply as for annual profection. Transits to and from the monthly time lord play an important role.

I follow a different approach, which I have adopted from my astrologer and which has made sense so far.

In view of the little time I have at the moment, in a nutshell:

You look at Venus and her conditions in the natal chart. Then you'll get the main idea of what this month is about (aka "natal promise"). The special features for this month this year are derived from the SR house of Taurus. It is therefore also a way of narrowing down the timing more precisely.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I usually start with the primary directions (van dam) and the sec progressions. Afterwards I will also look at the transits.
I think the primary directions coincide more with the larger events. e.g. marriage, illness, children, career, etc.
sec progressions have more of an inner need that changes, you add something extra etc
the transits encourage this in their own way. sometimes the timer is also a transit of mars and the moon.

just like how to interpret a chart you should first look for at least 3 confirmations in the same direction.
lets say you have tr pluto through your 2nd house
there is a sec progression to the ruler of the 2nd house
and some primary direction to venus or a planet in the 2nd house. here you could have a theme.
then you don't know exactly what this person wants with it. therefore interaction is necessary. you can make a general asssumption that there is something going on there..

the strength of the planet is also important how it could turn out. and the afflictions. you will have a different path with a planet in detriment then with a strong angular position.

i do like the profections as well. here I'm just looking at the iterations of the contacts a profection ruler makes in the SR. just the planets, not the same aspects. see if the promise of the natal chart emerges. only for that actually.
also place the natal profection ruler in the SR to see if it also makes those contacts. check if the profection ruler is angular.
the position of the profection ruler in the natal, but also in the solar return.
and then look at the transits from and to the profection ruler to look at which day these natal planets are in contact again.
only for major events..
Iris:)70 gave me another tool to look at. the annual profections and the medieval continuous profections. and sometimes they are spot on.

firdaria also nice. For example, you can see with successful people that with a good placement of a firdaria period planet, they also have that success in that period. and so also the more difficult periods with a weaker placement.
it's generally about how you deal with the things that come your way.
and to translate your potential in your own unique way. and enjoy it.

I usually start with the primary directions (van dam) and the sec progressions. Afterwards I will also look at the transits.
I think the primary directions coincide more with the larger events. e.g. marriage, illness, children, career, etc.
sec progressions have more of an inner need that changes, you add something extra etc
the transits encourage this in their own way. sometimes the timer is also a transit of mars and the moon.

just like how to interpret a chart you should first look for at least 3 confirmations in the same direction.
lets say you have tr pluto through your 2nd house
there is a sec progression to the ruler of the 2nd house
and some primary direction to venus or a planet in the 2nd house. here you could have a theme.
then you don't know exactly what this person wants with it. therefore interaction is necessary. you can make a general asssumption that there is something going on there..

the strength of the planet is also important how it could turn out. and the afflictions. you will have a different path with a planet in detriment then with a strong angular position.

i do like the profections as well. here I'm just looking at the iterations of the contacts a profection ruler makes in the SR. just the planets, not the same aspects. see if the promise of the natal chart emerges. only for that actually.
also place the natal profection ruler in the SR to see if it also makes those contacts. check if the profection ruler is angular.
the position of the profection ruler in the natal, but also in the solar return.
and then look at the transits from and to the profection ruler to look at which day these natal planets are in contact again.
only for major events..
Iris:)70 gave me another tool to look at. the annual profections and the medieval continuous profections. and sometimes they are spot on.

firdaria also nice. For example, you can see with successful people that with a good placement of a firdaria period planet, they also have that success in that period. and so also the more difficult periods with a weaker placement.
it's generally about how you deal with the things that come your way.
and to translate your potential in your own unique way. and enjoy it.
This is more the less how I use predictive methods as well.
@joke n has given me the tool and some guidance to work with Primary Directions and I offered my bit with continuous Profections. It was a fair exchange, I feel! Primary Directions is a great tool indeed! Of course, I have a look at Solar return, but I think that it's importance is overrated; I am mostly interested in Solar Return using it in bi-wheel as a transit chart. The stand alone offers insights, but without the bi-wheel, important details may be left out. Another tool I use is Minor progressions, which functions in a "similar" way with Solar Return in the sense that they describe how the year will pan out from birthday to birthday. It is a good tool too, I have checked it against important events in my life and it was descriptive. It is offered for free in Astroseek charts. Definitely, I use Solar Arcs too...All Directions are simply Great and the essence of Astrology and as it was stated above we need at least 3 similar indications in different charts for an event to unfold.

Another tool I use is Minor progressions, which functions in a "similar" way with Solar Return in the sense that they describe how the year will pan out from birthday to birthday. It is a good tool too, I have checked it against important events in my life and it was descriptive. It is offered for free in Astroseek charts
Could you give me a short description of how to use minor progressions? When I pull up that chart on Astro seek it’s the same as the Lunar return. According to this article https://www.astro.com/astrology/tma_article201214_e.htm , however, it doesn’t equal planetary returns. I’ve seen the column on the left that shows the age of the LR, but the Moon is still in her natal position. Just curious.

Last edited: