The 29th Degree: The Anaretic Degree

S

Samantha Bean

The 29th, the Anaretic Degree! Where does it come from?

There are only a few references to it with astrologers like Ivy Goldstein
Jacobson and Barbara Watters, and those are veiled in terms of terrible tragedy,
and weeping. Ivy calls it the place of the Weeping Sisters, where there is
something to Weep about partly because of the closeness of 29Tau to some nasty
stars in that Cluster. But she does make a point that it shows defective vision
in some way. My copy of Devore calls it the Anaretic degree, and lists it
as the planet that destroys.

Degrees of the Zodiac by Charubel and Sepharial: 29th of Taurus is typical:
A powerful man holding a scourge in his right hand, driving two slaves
in manacles.

And even more so, what good is it?

Alright! If you look deep and hard you can find it. But there are some caveats
to start, and assuming that taken them first. The 29th
degree is only 1/38th of all the degrees of the Zodiac, so it may not be a
really big, really impacting issue.

Make sure that you made a
determination of the strength of the Planets, Houses, and Signs in your chart.

If the 29th of the Sun, normally powerful, is weak by sign, aspect, and house,
it's impact is not going to be much to weep about. Even if you are good at
this, I would suggest a study of Cosmodyne Research. make sure
determined whether the house that its a cusp at, whether the sign its in,
and whether planet that at the 29th, have any strength in your chart.
If they are at the bottom of the power curve, you may still see the effects,
but they may require more to set them off, or more of item Number 2(next).

Remember the famous Rule of Threes, put out by IVY Goldstein-Jacobson, Henry Weingarten, and many others: If you
see it once, maybe; if you see a reference to it twice, possibly; if you see
it three or more times, increasing degrees of certainty. The characteristics
of the 29th degree are visible in other ways. Look for them Characteristics of the 29th degree:

1. Its the weakest point in the sign it represents. This is because its been
diluted with two decanates of other signs, and because its at the end of its
options for the characteristics of the sign its in.

2. The sign in the 29th degree is tired, and often shows more of the next
sign than the sign its in. This is especially true if you are of the same
mind as Sepharial was(and this author agrees), that each degree starts 30
seconds before the actual degree, and ends 30 seconds after the actual degree.
This leads to a common concept in astrology of the increasing and decreasing
in light

3. The planet and house placement is always getting ready to make a change.
Depending on sign/planet/house, the native will find themselves of two or
more minds on a subject. The twenty-ninth degree, states Pat Geisler, is like
the 2-headed Roman god Janus, always looking into the past and the future.

The Bottom Line
The 29th degree is more able to see both sides of an issue. But more than
that, this degree tends to send the native into an oscillation between one
view and the other, often struggling to make any decision at all. Decision
making becomes agony.

The native with a strong placement of this degree in a planet , or in a cusp
of a sign, seems to be in a situation where decisions tend to be put off and
to be made much later. Decisions are all up for continuous re-evaluation with
new information. And there is always new information. But eventually a decision
must be reached.

This is where Ivy G-J concept of defective vision comes in. While the
native collect information on all sides of the issue, s/he can see good points
with every side and cannot make a decision.
Unfortunately, the native, at the proverbial end of his rope(last degree in
the sign), will tend to make a quick decision just to do something, anything!!,
without looking. Metaphorically, he may dive into the pool before checking
to see if it has water in it.

Lets look at some of the more typical examples of how this can manifest in
a chart :

A. Sun in the 29th degree often causes a major career change in mid life.
not talking about changing a job, talking about a whole
new event. One client I know switched from an advertising executive to an
elementary school teacher(Sun in 29Pis). Another was a teacher, but suddenly
decided to start her own school, which while still in education was about
as far a change as one could make.

B. Moon in the 29th, is also often Void Of Course. In the parlance of Horary
Astrology, not a lot of options left, and the time to accomplish
things drops to nothing. These are the people who may continuously leap before
looking to see how far down it is if they miss the other side. In a wedding
chart, it suggests that the wedding was based on pregnancy, or that a co habitation has already taken place.

C. The 29th degree in a Sun position can slow down career success because
of poor decision making skills.

D. A placement of a planet in the 29th degree in a house automatically makes
the ability to manifest the characteristics of that house structure more fuzzy,
and the interaction with the people of that house more vague and less decisive.
It adds a kind of decision making complication to the house, much the way
that Having Dark Moon Lilith then adds disruption to the house, or having
Mars there causes something to be cut out.

E. Women with their Sun in a 29th degree have a tendency to marry men who
are ineffectual in some way: trouble keeping a job, born followers, too passive,
emotional problems. Again this is related to the concept of poor decision
making(both on the part of the woman and on the part of the husband).

F. In Mundane Astrology, the 29th degree seems somewhat characteristic of
having an afflicted 7th house. Marriage charts tend to end in divorce, real
estate ventures seem to go badly.

G. A 29th degree in a progressed chart often stimulates the characteristics,
either positive or negative of the relationship, and a last fling jump for
the characteristics of the sign, in the house that it is in. Mars in Sagittarius
tends send the person on wild causes, or its energy levels collapse altogether;
Jupiter in Taurus tends to give away too much money, or freezes up completely
the money spigot.

H. Saturn in 29th Capricorn: this is the degree of the workaholic. The native
seem to get enough hard work. But s/he runs into obstacles in getting
it, and often vacillates between working to death, and no work.

I . Mercury in the 29th of Leo: Too much talk....about him/herself. And then
they stop because no one listens anymore, and then they start up again.
There are many other possibilities(please check Garrett for them).

In summary, ..................................the 29th degree, tends to give the native
a difficulty in properly making decisions. But the native stop
with that like they might in some aspectual relationship. They find themselves
oscillating like a wind vibrated steel bridge, until a sudden response is
made. This oscillation takes on the characteristic of Too Much or Too Little,
Too Much or Too Little, Too Much or Too Little, Too Much or Too Little, until
the native either jumps for one or the other, and often without thought of consequences of action

Copyright @Samantha Bean, 2002.

1. Charubel. The Degrees of the Zodiac Symbolized. Aries Press, Chicago,
2. Devore, Nicholas. Encyclopedia of Astrology. Philosophical Library,
New York, 1947.
3. Garrett Helen Adams. The Anaretic Degree A is A Publishing,

Bellville, IL, 2000.

4. Goldstein-Jacobson, Ivy. Correspondence Course in Astrology Self

Published 1968.

Very interesting. I’m a 29th degree Scorpio rising so that puts my descendant at 29 degrees Taurus. I’m not indecisive and I’m definitely more Scorpio than Sagittarius I guess because my chart ruler Mars is close to my ascendant and the other ruler Pluto sextiles Mars. If anything I feel like I have mastered the Scorpio ascendant and I’ve certainly gone through a lot of transformations in my life.
29th degree Taurus descendant definitely very accurate, my husband soulmate, died in a car accident 12 years ago. He was a Taurus ascendant. Many tears shed, weeping sisters.
My current partner, has his sun at 29 degrees of Scorpio in the 10th house, conjunct my ascendant. He as been an Engineer for almost 21 years, I don’t see him making a career change at 42, but then again he is just starting his Uranus opposition. Astrology is amazing 🍏

Last edited:
I have Jupiter in Cancer at 29°. It is in the 6h (17° Cancer cusp) and conjunct a natal retrograde Uranus at 27°. Uranus is the chart ruler, Aqu on the Asc. Jupiter rules the MC and 11h.

I have Jupiter in Cancer at 29°. It is in the 6h (17° Cancer cusp) and conjunct a natal retrograde Uranus at 27°. Uranus is the chart ruler, Aqu on the Asc. Jupiter rules the MC and 11h.
Jupiter Uranus conjunction is a very lucky aspect, it‘s a millionaire aspect or the ability to escape unharmed in dangerous situations🍏

This is an intriguing topic! I have Saturn in Pisces at 29 degrees (12th house) and it trines my Mercury in Leo at 1 degree (4th house). I have used it as an intuitive way of communicating in person, both catching inferences of others and implying things myself. I appreciate subtlety and nuance sometimes. Or at least, I can discern the undercurrents of what is really being said by others. The subtext beneath the text, so to speak. ;)

I guess effect of Anaretic starts from 29deg00 to 29deg60 may be till next sign's 45 minutes.
Also need your answer whether 28deg15 shall be having some Anaretic characteristics?
Strictly No , i think.

I have also jupiter on 29 cancer nataly, retrograde. He is about to progress to the 00 degree Leo next year. I do not know if I will feel it in progression differently from the natal.

Last edited:
I have also jupiter on 29 cancer nataly, retrograde. He is about to progress to the 1st degree Leo next year. I do not know if I will feel it in progression differently from the natal.
Yes you will feel a major difference, 29th degree in water signs is the degree of drowning so perhaps you have been feeling emotionally overwhelmed. Some people even develop hearing problems if it’s in their progressed chart and when they cross over to Leo they regain their hearing. They dry up, that feeling of being lost at sea is gone because they are on dry land. Time to get creative, time to have some fun!🍏

Hmm, I met my soulmate and got married when Pluto conjuncted my natal Venus🍏
I’ve met several soul mates † in my lifetime - three, actually. However, they were also all very far away (9H Vertex), so there was no chance of anything like a normal relationship with any of them, let alone marriage. :)

† There was an instant sense of familiarity with all of them, even when just reading written communication.

@Oliver - I've had 2 so far... off topic, but one I was married to for 28yrs & 2 months before he passed from colon cancer, the other turned out to have many childhood issues and refused to grow from them.

Regulus: brings renown and honours, unless the native misuses their abilities or those honours (and Regulus moved into early Virgo a while ago, but still the anaretic degree applies for those born prior to that) which instead, can bring a precipitous downfall from their dizzy heights. No timeframe given for that fall.

I have often thought of this in relation to the Pluto in Leo generation, and how marshalling of their gifts and preferences is shaping up.

Scheat: reputation for giving potential for drowning and general misfortune, plus similar about the downfall.

This is an interesting degree, coming as it does prior to the beginning of the Zodiac, 0degAries. Kind of gives a "I'm fed up, done with this, outta here" energy, like the late winter, prior to bursts of new life into spring.

REGULUS 29LEO50
Note that that was the position in the year 2000. Since around 2011, Regulus is in Virgo*. The fixed stars move about 1° forward in 72 years due to precession, so a bit less than 1' forward per year (~50").

I find the fixed star calculator at astro-seek often very useful (by default shows 30 major stars, but you can select "All Stars (286)":

(* See e.g. the n.node of Pres. Biden, or the moon of Nawalny, and in my experience recently many prominent figures in politics seem to have turned up with something in early Virgo close to Regulus as the heart of the lion.)

Hi @xphi
I wondered at the time if, when Regulus moved into Virgo, how that might feel for those born with something close to it in Leo. Did power fall from their hands? Did it shift?

And, as Leo is the sign of monarchy, and Regulus a distinctly regal chart element, did it impact them? Did it mean that more modesty (Virgo) is required, going forward?

Thank you @Samantha Bean for your inspiring post!

My usual procedure for decades meanwhile is, to interprete a planet sitting in the last 10% of a sign or house into the next one. For example, Jupiter at 27° or thereafter Capricorn would be interpreted by me as Jupiter in Aquarius. It turned out to be not always applicable, especially when a planet or asteroid is retrograde; or for example, Chiron and Pluto usually start to take energies from the following sign or house already 6° before reaching it. So, my procedure is not generally safe.

The current transit phase of Pluto into Aquarius coming out of Capricorn, well, this more and more develops to something different from earlier experiences. Maybe, because the difference between Capricorn and Aquarius is so huge. A special eye on 29° seems to be useful.

Hi @xphi
I wondered at the time if, when Regulus moved into Virgo, how that might feel for those born with something close to it in Leo. Did power fall from their hands? Did it shift?

And, as Leo is the sign of monarchy, and Regulus a distinctly regal chart element, did it impact them? Did it mean that more modesty (Virgo) is required, going forward?
Could all be. I consciously only know one person with planets in late Leo close to Regulus; at the person's birth more than one planet was less than 1° behind Regulus. That person was apparently roughly around 2010 close to not existing any more, but I do not know the details, first met the person some years later, and also not sure how precise "2010" is. Very difficult to say more without revealing more details, which is not possible, but there are several indications that would seem to imply that there was "more Virgo" from that point in time, also maybe in the sense of since then rather setting the stage for "royalty" than being prominent in person, but not sure how exactly that was before "2010". Also she does more than one thing (actually three) with quite some energy, not sure if that was the same before.
Scheat: reputation for giving potential for drowning and general misfortune, plus similar about the downfall.

This is an interesting degree, coming as it does prior to the beginning of the Zodiac, 0degAries. Kind of gives a "I'm fed up, done with this, outta here" energy, like the late winter, prior to bursts of new life into spring.
I was wondering if a retrograde planet makes a difference. My Saturn (rx) at birth was at 29°05' Pisces, Scheat then at 28°53', and no obvious perils to life at least so far, nothing with "drowning". My mother had Venus (direct) at 29°15' Pisces, Scheat then at 28°31', and she did almost drown when very roughly 10 years old (and I don't remember at this moment a possible other "explanation" I had found some time ago), she fell into the local river, someone saw it and fished her out. Also, in 1964, in Kyoto, a lunatic killer had escaped on the only day my parents were not together there and she did hide in a park where he wanted to kill her with a knife, hiding in such a way that she could see him, but he could not see her.

In general, I guess, because fixed stars were apparently not much in focus of 20th century astrologers, all the relativation regarding good/evil with potentials and possibilities to psychologically deal with them that took place for planets did not happen much for the stars, which is maybe not ideal?

Warum wirken Sterne im nächsten Zeichen auf die 29 Grad?
Dies hängt nicht nur mit den Zeichen zusammen, sondern auch mit der Höhe und dem Fall der Planeten. Ich füge auch eine Grafik mit einer Tabelle des Astrologen Velhoff bei.
So ist es auf der Höhe von Mars, zB auf 29 Grad Steinbock, so dass dieser nicht so ein ruhiger Steinbock ist, sondern eher Widder betont, bei Mars auf dem fälligen Grad dann meist muskulös und temperamentvoll, wenn andere Aspekte es tun nicht dagegen sprechen.
Mit Pluto im Transit wird es keine friedliche Zeit.
29 Grad Krebs ist auch kein ruhiger Krebs, aber hier ist Mars in dem Fall ein negativer weiblicher Marsgrad. Jetzt kann man sagen, dass die Sonne hier schon etwas vom Löwen hat? Aber es ist der Grad des Mars.
Auch das Umgekehrte ist möglich, dies ist auf der Ebene der Venus bei 29 Grad Fische der Fall. Deshalb sind auch die Anfangsgrade des Widders sensibel und medial begabt.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-02-28-12-06-07-766-edit_cn.wps.moffice_eng.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-28-12-06-07-766-edit_cn.wps.moffice_eng.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: