Firdaria

Penguin Trauma

Does anyone use this technique? It's similar to Zodiacal Releasing in that it's a timing technique that divides your life into segments, and each segment has a planetary ruler, and a sub-ruling planet.

I remember IRIS70 posted a thread in the old ADF about it.

The phase is determined by the planet, and similar rules apply to ZR, in that you see what condition the natal planet is.

Excerpt:

As it is always with astrology, calculating is one thing, but then we need to understand what the result of the calculation means - we need to interpret the result. Interpretation of firdaria can be as simple or as sophisticated as you wish. For a basic interpretation, you only need to have an idea of the astrological symbolism of the planets. In this case, you can easily spot potentially the most favorable and the most difficult periods in one's life but you will not get many details of what's going to happen then.

An advanced interpretation requires the knowledge of horoscopic astrology: planets in signs, their dignities and debilities, their position in the houses of a horoscope, aspects between planets - that kind of thing. The more factors you will take into consideration, the more detailed will be your understanding of the person's firdaria

And here's a calculator that will show you which planetary period you are in:

You need to know if your chart is a day or night chart (and also click no for 'nodes at the end' if you have a night chart)

Quite interesting!

Last edited:
So my Sun phase began March 2022, and I will be having a Sun + Venus sub-period starting .... In two days! 🙂 lasting until January 2025, when it will then switch to Sun + Mercury.

I have Venus exalted in Pisces, hoping it will turn out to be a fruitful phase.

Unclear on whether you need to use Whole Signs or Placidus, but I'm assuming it will be Whole signs, given it stemmed from Medieval Astrology

in my case also
Sun Phase
Sun-Saturn phase begins on 21 Nov 2023
natal saturn in virgo oppo sun :S (3-9th axis)

Next phase
Sun-Jupiter could be easier starts April 2025,
it makes sense, when saturn leaves pisces
Jupiter in cancer 8th though

I'm in my Mars/Venus phase, but what does it tell me?
it can show you the milestones in this phase of your life. Look on the qualities of Mars in your chart as well as Venus. How do they interact?
Maybe your mars will be fueled by your venus energy here. so you may need to study both in your natal chart and possible transits on them.

I'm in my Mars/Venus phase, but what does it tell me?

As @Lunasel said, look at the condition of the planet's involved.

Primarily look at Mars, what sign it's in, which house, what dignity. Next look at the houses it rules.

I had a Mars phase from 2010 to 2017 - those years were certainly of heightened activity. My Mars is in Cancer, so in its Fall, but also in a Cardinal sign too. It was high octane, certainly not quiet! Whole sign 8th house, Placidus 7th, so quite a heavy theme of relationships, and transformation and endings (haha plenty of those!) with a touch of dark nights of the soul (especially with the Mars/Saturn phase!! Goodness ... 😳)

I think the secondary planet, you look at the condition of the planet, dignities, the houses they rule. It's kind of like the subtext I think?

So when I had Mars/Venus, which is exalted in Pisces, in a Mutable sign, Whole sign 4th, Placidus 2nd, it was the year I got promoted 🙂

It's like Mars gives the initial push, and Venus delivers the results?

It all went South when I entered Mars/Mercury phase after that. Both planets in their Fall (Mercury in Fall in Pisces)

Last edited:
The bit that made me 😂😂

I entered my South node phase .... March 2020 🤦 a month that will be forever in the history books. Can't get more isolating than a global pandemic!

South Node Period​

Often a rather problematic period when you can find yourself in isolation, have an impression that everyone has turned away from you and that nobody can hear or notice you. It may be difficult to find your place in life in these years. Some relationships or activities might come to their end. You will need to reevaluate your aims, your plans, and probably choose a new direction.

(On the calculator you can click on the heading, and it will give you an interp on the top right hand corner)

I have used it some since I got interested in the western traditonal astrology some years ago.
Generally not recommended as a stand-alone-technique.
Said to be best in tandem with other methods for getting a theme...
Profections, solar returns, distributions primary directions et,c.

Trump won election 2016 in his North node period.
North node is in 10th house conjunction sun trined by jupiter
Lost election in his south node period.
now in his venus subperiod;
Venus is 10th ruler in 12th conjunct saturn. - A bit tough.

Looking at the calculator results, it seems not to fit my lived experience, so not something I plan to pursue...

it can show you the milestones in this phase of your life. Look on the qualities of Mars in your chart as well as Venus. How do they interact?
Maybe your mars will be fueled by your venus energy here. so you may need to study both in your natal chart and possible transits on them.
This Fidaria-calculator does not make sense at all.

My Jupiter phase from 2009 was the worst time in my life (up to 2021) and Jupiter makes a trine to my sun in my chart which is considered one of the luckiest aspects to have. My Jupiter is in my 5th house, rules the 12th and the 1st house.

Mars and Venus are definitely in worse conditions than Jupiter and I’ve been very happy since 2021.

i do use it also as a more general technique next to profections.
look at the condition etc is important. natal jupiter in sag in 1 is in general a good period. always nice to look at charts from celibrities. look at reception, dispositor contact etc.

for me ive got this year a mercury/mercury period. and profection virgo as wel with ruler mercury.
mercury in my natal chart is in pisces and very afflicted. so this period should be more difficult. and this makes sense because of increasing brainfog in this period. natal mercury in pisces was never easy, but my word finding problems did increase a lot..
when i would look at important transits in my chart. it will be next year some weeks after my birthday .tr saturn conjunct mercury ( also natal contacts) what should be interesting. because there are more important transits around the same time i think i know what will happen. but you never know. and transit mercury is interesting ...
but on the other hand, i think that mercury in pisces period can lead you to a more original use of the natal position. Then I would just involve psychology. Although I don't think that's the intention.

Last edited:
Maybe this technique should be performed with more traditional techniques of analysis.
I can't say that I trust it to make predictions with it as only source.
But find it enough interesting to continuing exploring.
For example looking at an recent newsmaker Sinead O' Connor.
She have an by traditional astrology measures a problematic Mars.

Not out of aspect, as it is not afflicted.
Mars is in Libra in detriement but prominent placed conjunct the MC.
So it could potentially produce some troubles for her.

The suicide of her son which may be the main reason for her own suicide ?
Is occuring in the Fidaria subperiod of Mars. (Mars is ruling her IC and her 5th house.

In a interview with dr Phil in 2017 she said that she had a hysterectemi and following breakdown two years before that,
in 2015 she was in the subperiod of Mars again.

Her perod of great success in 1990 with 'Nothing compares to you' was in her Jupiter-Sun period.
Jupiter main period. Jupiter is strong in her chart in triplicity (night ruler) and in it's own term.
Jupiter is in mutual reception with the sun the subperiod ruler. That is strong.

Mother suicide february 1985
Period:Saturn mercury
Saturn is closely squaring her 10th house ruler (mom) venus.
Mercury is in scorpio 12th house conjunct Neptune. sorrow confusion.

Last edited:
Firdaria
They are made specific by annual profections and particularly note worthy is when the Lord of the Year corresponds to the Firdaria Lords. The periods and sub-periods of the firdaria indicate a time lord which is slow acting in its influence and describes time periods better developed by shorter time lord periods.
With regards to profections, when the lord of the year aligns with a period ruler or sub period ruler there just seems to be something 'more' with that symbolism and that planet's effects. Something more obvious or more heightened. The same with the solar return. I realize that using the traditional approach with solar returns and profections makes so much sense
With regards profections, the method I use is to use whole signs, and to only hand over to tradtional planets. That said, you can consider the natal condition of the planet to be affected by a conjunction of Uranus, Neptune or Pluto, especially if they're in orb and it's fairly tight and you recognize this symbolism. I just would be wary of handing over to them.

I have an example to offer from my natal. I was in a Sun/Mars Firdaria period in 1977-I was pretty young then, 8yo-. In 1978 there was an big earthquake in my town and most houses were damaged by it, most people had to sleep in tents until their houses were repaired. Now, My Sun is peregrine in PIsces, but in sect, angular in 7th and only aspects Pluto by opposition, so not in a great shape! My Mars is my out of sect malefic, whenever triggered, I have seen to bring conflict, accidents, surgeries, trouble in general. It is in my natal 4th, conj IC, peregrine too, out of sect, thankfully gets some support by it's ruler Jupiter by the sextile, so maybe that saves me the last minute from extra trouble and also sextile the Moon, as I have the n Moon conj. Jupiter.

The earthquake took place in my Sun/Mars Firdaria period and no wonder, when Mars in continuous profections was almost exactly opposite my natal Sun. What is more, t Mars was conj. my natal ASC on the day of the earthquake. I was in a Mercury LoY in profections, Mercury is in 6th, I suffered great mental stress, it took me a while to relax, my Mercury is in Aquarius. I was in shock! We had to move in a remote village, where my grandma was for a long while.

I can give a lot of examples as to how Firdaria work. Events do NOT take place when we enter the new Firdaria period, but only when Profections and transit give the thumps up! They all work together in a magnificent way, the point is to work with those methods and know some traditional astrology too.

So, with firdaria, the only way I use them is to consider these things to fall under a broad umbrella of the firdaria periods and subperiods making note when a firdaria lord is the same as a profected lord or the ruler of the ascendant or solar return ascendant, or is in some other way is made prominent. When you have things repeat over and over again then obviously we cannot ignore it, as I have explained in my example. Do NOT forget to use continuous profections too!! They are VERY significant, but still, everything depends on the natal chart.

Events do NOT take place when we enter the new Firdaria period, but only when Profections and transit give the thumps up! They all work together in a magnificent way, the point is to work with those methods and know some traditional astrology too.

Okay, so when I enter my Libra profection year in 2024, then the Sun/Venus Firdaria will make itself more evident?

Do we count Eclipses too? I have the upcoming Libra Eclipse conjunct my prenatal Eclipse degree.

Okay, so when I enter my Libra profection year in 2024, then the Sun/Venus Firdaria will make itself more evident?

Do we count Eclipses too? I have the upcoming Libra Eclipse conjunct my prenatal Eclipse degree.
Dear Penguin,:)
when I enter my Libra profection year in 2024, then the Sun/Venus Firdaria will make itself more evident?
It is possible! With Venus as the LoY, in all likelihood, you also have Venus prominent in Solar Return too. This is what happens in most cases. Is it angular, close to an angle, SR or natal angle? Maybe even conj NN, or on a critical degree. What is it's general condition? I hope it is not in a harsh aspect to a malefic+ angular. Still, the whole chart has to be checked, I avoid such generalities.

If I were you, I would follow tr Sun/Venus for times they become prominent, when there is a major aspect between them, when/if Venus becomes prominent/aspects the Sun in continuous profections, like in the example I have offered.
Check SR, other charts and if there is a theme being repeated, involving those 2 you can expect an event of a Venus nature. I think that since you have Libra ASC in SR there is a possibility that relationships may be a focus, but this is too general, I hate coming into any conclusions like this, without seeing the charts in question. For example, Libra occupies a natal house, say if your 4th, it may be about domestic matters/ family too.

What about other charts? What is going on in sec. progressions/Solar Arcs? Is Venus becoming prominent in a way, say after a few months? For major, life-changing events, something should be shown in at least 3 charts. It's the rule!
When it comes to eclipses, the think that interests me is if they TIGHTLY aspect a natal placement, more importantly a Luminary, an axis, or a personal planet. Even in the case it IS conj/opposite-up to 3.5 degrees orb-square-even tighter up to a degree-I check if I am under a major transit by a slow moving planet. If there is a transit by Saturn/Uranus/Neptune/Pluto affecting angles /luminaries/your chart ruler/ triggering a stellium /important pattern in natal and probably personal planets, then there is a possibility of an event to manifest.
Then, I would look for a trigger, say Mars/Sun/a slow moving planet crossing an angle. Eclipses just make something sensitive for a few months' time-up to 3, if I recall well-Unless there is a last trigger during this, nothing will happen!

The prenatal eclipses are mostly about your "mission" in this life, what you are here to learn/teach. Maybe someone else would disagree, but an eclipse falling conj your prenatal eclipse is not something significant enough for me-maybe it is on Spiritual level, not sure-
Do not confuse yourself with too much info. Use what you know already. I keep my charts without too many extra info, because I get confused, I am not Einstein, so I may miss the obvious.

Good luck, I hope I helped a bit!
😘

Last edited:
Αs I stated in a previous post, Firdaria work together with Profections and Solar Return.
I will give another example from my chart. In October 2001 I gave birth to my daughter, my 2nd child. The Firdaria period that includes the date is Moon/Saturn that had started in June 2001 and lasted until September 2002.

If I check my Solar return for 2002-my birthday is in March so the SR for 2001 was in another Firdaria period-
I can see that it is a significant year, as I have the axes returning to their place-SR MC conj natal MC, SR ASC conj n ASC etc-and that SR Saturn is tightly conj SR MC in 10th, opposite SR Moon conj IC in 4th, both square my Sun. You can see that both lords of the Firdaria period are angular and aspecting one another.

If there are more SRs in a firdaria period, we check on which SR the Firdaria period lords are depicted angular, or at least very prominent and in most cases in aspect between them. This is when the main event of the Firdaria period will take place.
Going to profections I check the one for the year that the SR depicts the Firdaria Lords angular. I use continuous profections and I can see that all my natal placements are exactly square the planets in continuous profections, not a good sign, too much challenge!

For the history, my daughter was a very difficult baby. She did give me a hard time big time and I was unprepared, as my 1st child was not like this. As she grew older, she got normal, but that year was very hard for me. After all, the combination of planets Moon/Saturn implies something like this.