Chariklo, Centaur #10199

warbler

Known in Greek mythology as Chariclo, she was the mate/wife of Chiron. Sources disagree between she being a centaur, a nymph, or one of the former able to shapeshift into the latter, and some claim her to be the daughter of Apollo. What is most agreed upon is that she was a beloved companion to Athena. Assuming the figures of the mythos to have some sense in their choices when it comes to relationships (not all seem to, for certain) begs the question: What kind of friend and confidant would a goddess of war, craftsmanship, and reason choose to have by her side?

Tiresias is told by some to be born of the union between Chiron and Chariklo and how it is he came to become a blind seer of the Thebans is, similarly to the nature of his mother's being, arguable depending on the source. One says he caught sight of Athena naked in the baths, who then struck him blind and later granted him the gift of prophecy to see the world not as it is, but as it will be to ease her friend's woe. Another has Hera blinding him after a query as to the nature of the sexes was not answered to her liking after an argument between she and Zues, with whom favor was struck and yielded the gift of a seer's sight. Quoting Brittanica's article, which provides a context to prequel the latter example as to how he became a prophet: "Besides longevity, another of Tiresias’s features involves his having lived as a man, then as a woman, and then as a man again. Reportedly, he had been turned into a woman as the result of having struck and wounded mating snakes. When Tiresias returned to the site of the transformation seven years later to see if the 'spell' could be reversed, Tiresias did indeed see the same snakes coupling and was changed back into a man."

Some very common threads among many accounts to answer any questions as to what kind of role Chariklo played are that she was a healer of a shamanistic disposition, innately aware of the psychological aspects of that which may ail and bring pain and suffering one's way. Whereas her mate was attuned toward the healing of others' physical ails, she existed not as a counter-balance, but to aid in the integration and healing of body and soul.

Chariklo was discovered February 14th, 1997 at 7:15 PM in Tuscon, AZ, but would not be officially named until September 30th of the same year. Considering the amount of information to peruse in a grand sextile chart, I'll forego a summary and simply share the chart:
astro_2gw_chariklo_discovery.16684.90551.png

A bit over sixteen years later in June of 2013, Chariklo was observed to be the first asteroid known to contain a ring system. She is the largest of the centaurs and has an orbit of 22,987 days or just under 63 years. Like all centaurs, the dynamic of her orbit yields highly irregular intervals for transits through the houses of zodiac, and in the far future is likely to be ejected from the solar system, collide with another planet or the sun, or possibly even become a comet.

Hands down the best and most thorough astrological study and theory of significance pertaining to Chariklo that I have found is that accomplished by Zane Stein, whose article I link here:

In summary, Stein found a recurring theme ado with Chariklo's influence in the charts of individuals that played a significant, public role in the creative imagining or scientific fruition of humanity's future. Four of my personal favorite authors, Frank Herbert, H.G. Wells, Aldoux Huxley, and Kurt Vonnegut, all feature in his findings.

It was while reading his article my personal curiosity was first piqued many years ago when noting the calendar day of official naming being the same as my younger daughter's birthday seven years later. Shortly after I would realize she has Sun conjunct Chariklo in the eighth degree of Libra, that her Moon is conjunct my Chariklo in the fourth degree of Taurus, and that my mother's Chariklo was conjunct my Moon in the twelfth degree of Libra.

Something probably worth mentioning is that Chariklo was very close to the Saturn-Pluto conjunction of January 2020. Together with the meaning of her name ~ "spinning grace" and as the wife of Chiron who sacrificed his own immortality for Prometheus, to me she is also somewhat of the "grace of death", but this view might very well also be colored by several of my personal experiences during that time (plus two very recently)...

Here a two brief extracts from what Melanie Reinhart wrote (not sure when exactly) about Chariklo:

CHARIKLO
Wife of Chiron

Saturn and Pluto made a single conjunction on 12.1.2020 at 22.46 degrees.
Chariklo is conjunct Saturn, once only, on 16.2.2020 (the day after her Solar Return!), staying within orb of conjunction with both Saturn and Pluto until 2022.
[...]
To 'bear with', abide with, create sacred space or appropriate boundaries, to accompany and bear witness. Chariklo's name means "Graceful Spinner" or "Spinning Grace"... it may be that just as she spins, she can also unravel the tangled knots we sometimes encounter in the psyche. Perhaps spinning an invisible, felt, order from chaos.

I had Covid (for the first time if going by positive test results) starting mid March this year, and without going into details (was nominally from "flu" symptoms nothing extraordinary, but felt often different, in a way also felt a little bit like "close to death", even though there seems to have not been any actual danger of that, but often little energy), some things mentally unwound, besides apparently some reliable new clarity regarding how to bring some of my findings to more people, also an astonishing new opportunity at work, an interesting new project for me, out of the blue, apparently also for almost as new from the people who cooked the idea up... ;)

Chariklo is now roughly at 12.x° Aquarius, quite closely sextile my MC and somewhat opposite my sun (14.x° Leo).

Anyways, did you notice, "unwound", un-wound, thus "wound" and the verb "wind" maybe related, spinning of fate? Maybe?
s-rolleyes.gif

I have often correlated spinning and spinning wheels with the cosmic scenery, as not just the planets but also our solar system is spinning along in a direction, not static. Also, the zodiac "wheel" and its revolutions round and round.

I don't know if you have ever come across the concept of the 'mystic spiral", where it seems we have dealt with something, then go on our way, only to meet the same topic at another level later on. We have gone back to the location but a few steps up, so to speak. Just like fibres under torsion, which is what thread or yarn is (essentially).

After reading your posts here, @xphi, I looked at my own chart to see where she was located natally, and this theme of integration of body/soul does tally up with some quite deep work I have been doing as that placement has been touched by a transiting planet.

So yes, what you have written, fits.

Chariklo is conjunct my Venus which Venus makes no solid aspect to any personal planets in my chart, in Gemini.
I have Sun conjunct Chiron, so I am more identified with the masculine husband and I am seeking my wife?

I am married to my wife and I feel grounded in our uninion.

She has nothing in Gemini but has Libra Pluto conjunct Mars which is a match for my 8th house in Libra which then goes into Scorpio where my own Pluto is situated.
Virgo Sun, Mercury, Jupiter, Saturn. I have Vertex in Virgo and 7th in Leo which contains all of Virgo.

Our union is one that will last a life time neither will give in.
We have learned so much about ourselves but also the other too, she has guided me with her own personality in trusting others and bringing a natural love out that hid underneath the surface to humans in general though my critical side still defers to keeping all humans at arms length.

My wife has Chariklo in Taurus in 7th directly conjunct her descendant, looking for her husband! It conjunct my Moon in Taurus but also my Vesta - Moon conjunction! My Mars is conjunct my Moon but falls into her 6th which makes sense as I work really hard and would work until my death for her and my family. Obviously that don't mean just working but Mars is in a good house.

She also has Chiron in Taurus too and this is conjunct my Vesta - Moon too. She found her Chirotic husband, a wounded healer. I was known as Metal Horse for a reason, I never named myself after any centaur but the Chinese zodiac for 1990 so it's different but does syncronize well.

Quite a revolutionary finding Chariklo.

Our composite is Sun, Mercury in Leo in 8th, Mars swings into 7th.
Moon in Aries in 4th, Venus in Cancer in 7th, Pluto and Saturn in Scorpio in 11th with South Node in Taurus.

Last edited:
I have often correlated spinning and spinning wheels with the cosmic scenery, as not just the planets but also our solar system is spinning along in a direction, not static. Also, the zodiac "wheel" and its revolutions round and round.

I don't know if you have ever come across the concept of the 'mystic spiral", where it seems we have dealt with something, then go on our way, only to meet the same topic at another level later on. We have gone back to the location but a few steps up, so to speak. Just like fibres under torsion, which is what thread or yarn is (essentially).
The "mystic spiral" is not something I was familiar with in that sense, but esp. "We have gone back to the location but a few steps up, so to speak." reminds me a lot of something German astrologer Thomas Ring once wrote (unfortunately, the link I got it from in the past no longer works):

German original text:

Der einzige Baum im Camp von Oswestry [dem Kriegsgefangenenlager in dem Thomas Ring nach seiner Gefangennahme im November 1916 zwei Jahre lang war], eine Linde, hatte dem entlassenen Gefangenen aber eine Tröstung mitgegeben. Als ich damals halb verhungert unter diesem Baume lag, den Kreis der ewigen Wiederkehr mit der entsetzlichen Aussichtslosigkeit "es ist immer dasselbe" überdenkend, kam in stiller Luft etwas in Spiralen heruntergeschwebt: die Samenkugel der Linde mit Stiel und geschwungenem Führungsblatt. Noch eine und noch eine. Das war der wahre Ausstieg! Diese zylindrische Spirale brachte mir die Weisung: was von oben und von unten gesehen ein strenger Kreis ist, läßt im Seitenblick ein Aufwärts und ein Abwärts zu. Ebenso ist es mit dem Kreis der Prinzipien: ihre konkreten Entsprechungen ändern sich mit der Entwicklungshöhe, auf der sie gelebt werden!

Translation to English:

The only tree in the camp of Oswestry [the prisoner of war camp in which Thomas Ring was for two years after his capture in November 1916], a linden tree, however, had given the released prisoner a consolation. As I lay half-starved under this tree at that time, thinking over the circle of the eternal return with the horrible hopelessness "it is always the same", something came floating down in silent air in spirals: the seed ball of the linden tree with stem and curved guiding leaf. Another and another. This was the real exit! This cylindrical spiral brought me the instruction: what is a strict circle seen from above and from below, allows in the side view an upward and a downward movement. It is the same with the circle of the principles: their concrete correspondences change with the height of development on which they are lived!
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Thomas Ring had a Sagittarius sun, hence also intrinsically some Chiron/Chariklo themes, and Chiron means "hand", and is also used as "chirality" for the way in which molecules turn, including the DNA double helix...

I guess a mix of a movement forward (trad. ~ ""male"") and in cycles (trad. ~ ""female"") combined into sustained progress...? The four elements transformed by the 5th?

(Chariklo would have been at 10.x° Capricorn.)

And about the "cosmic scenery":

Besides generally all the stuff up there usually seeming round and going in cycles (hence I guess the 5th element going in circles and existing only in heaven according to Aristotle): Are you are aware of "The Spindle of Necessity" in Plato's "Republic", where also the souls of the dead are reincarnated (and Odysseus both by lot and in accordance with his own choice got/chose the fate of regular man for the next incarnation)...?

Plato, Republic, Book 10:

Just a very brief extract, the story is quite long with many interesting things:

And the spindle turned on the knees of Necessity, and up above on each of the rims of the circles a Siren stood, borne around in its revolution and uttering one sound, one note, and from all the eight there was the concord of a single harmony. And there were another three [617c] who sat round about at equal intervals, each one on her throne, the Fates, daughters of Necessity, clad in white vestments with filleted heads, Lachesis, and Clotho, and Atropos, who sang in unison with the music of the Sirens, Lachesis singing the things that were, Clotho the things that are, and Atropos the things that are to be. And Clotho with the touch of her right hand helped to turn the outer circumference of the spindle, pausing from time to time. Atropos with her left hand in like manner helped to turn the inner circles, and Lachesis [617d] alternately with either hand lent a hand to each.

Last edited: